Wednesday, December 10, 2008

MAJID VOWS TO FIGHT ON

After my posting early yesterday, Tengku Majid decided not to quit MGA but will fight on, and only leave after the BGM in May 2009. Read the NST today to get a better picture of why Tengku Majid will not go.

THE Malaysian Golf Association (MGA) and president Tunku Majid Sultan Iskandar (right) are headed for a showdown.
MGA passed a motion of no confidence against him yesterday but a defiant Tunku Majid said yesterday's extraordinary general meeting (EGM) was unconstitutional and that he would complete his term which ends in May. Tunku Majid's contention is that only the MGA executive committee can call for an EGM. The EGM was called as some members were allegedly unhappy with Tunku Majid's running of MGA and the selection of golfers for assignments. "Under the constitution, the EGM can only be called by the general committee. I have consulted former president Datuk Thomas Lee and my lawyers on the provision over this matter and they made it clear that the meeting is invalid," said Tunku Majid in a press conference in Kuala Lumpur.
The press conference was held before MGA convened the EGM."Thomas also said the delegates in the meeting cannot remove me as president as I'm an elected member. In order to uphold the constitution, I have no choice but to declare the EGM as Ultra Vires. I will refer to the Sports Commissioner's Office for the next course of action."The delegates voted 129-33 in favour of the no-confidence motion while two delegates abstained. A total of 55 affiliates attended the meeting at the Bukit Jalil Golf and Country Club (BJGCC)."I was led to believe by some parties that I was coming to make MGA more prestigious but I was wrong. I'm staying on till May and I will attend meetings and check the minutes. I need to ensure that everything is in order," Tunku Majid said."My term expires on May 9 and I will gladly step down. It will allow the members to elect and appoint a new committee. I will continue to serve golf if needed." Meanwhile, at the BJGCC, EGM chairman Datuk Robin Loh, also the vice-president of MGA, said the meeting was lawful and properly constituted."We clearly complied with the constitution although it doesn't provide for every eventuality but it's open to interpretation," said Loh"Tunku Majid was supposed to attend the meeting but he failed to turn up. Anyway the MGA interest is greater than the people here. Everything was properly tabled and discussed in the meeting."
addthis_pub = 'nstonline';