Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Chong Wei takes a break.

Having played Badminton continuously for the past 17 years, with exception of his enforced rest due to a doping violation, Lee Chong Wei will skip all events until the All England this March.


The 34 year old world number 1 is not overly concerned about slipping down the rankings, rather feels that this rest period will not only allow him to work on his game and physical condition but at the same time give him the hunger and desire to do well in the World Championships in Glasgow this August.


Chong Wei did not discount the possibility of using the German Open as a warm up event before his assault for yet another All England crown.


" It is time I took a break from the sport but it's for competitions only as I will be on court undergoing training as usual," said Chang Wei when contacted by this blog.


" It is the World Chanps title that I am after and the planning is geared towards that tournament.


" At present the plan is to make a return to competitive Badminton at the All England and I may consider playing the German Open."


Chong Wei has yet to make an appearance in the MPL, a private Badminton league this season where he is donning the Colours of Petaling BC.


He is however expected to take to the court this Saturday, playing in the mixed doubles partnering Zhao Yunie against Ampang BC.


" I have yet to play in the MPL and it should be a entertaining match this Saturday," said Chong Wei.


" I have yet to decide if I will play in the knockout stage as it depends if we qualify and other factors as well.


"As I have said in the past I will be playing in selective tournaments and that is what my plan is right now."