Saturday, August 13, 2011

THE CROWN BECKONS FOR CHONG WEI




As hordes of Malaysian VIP’s descended at the mixed zone area of the Wembley Arena to congratulate him, Lee Chong Wei was already thinking about his prospective opponent in the final.

And without hesitating Chong Wei said that he expected China’s Lin Dan to line up against him tomorrow.

Chong Wei defeated China’s Chen Jin in a one sided semi-final, winning 21-13, 21-9.

“I think Lin Dan has the edge over Peter Gade but irrespective who my opponent is, I will be prepared mentally to take them on, said Chong Wei before being ushered to meet the VIP’s in the likes of Malaysian High Commissioner, son of former Prime Minister Dato Mokhzani Mahathir, Deputy Sports Minister Senator Gan Ping Sieu and 2012 Malaysian Olympic contingent Chef de Mission Tan Sri Ahmad Sarji.

“It was a good win today and although I was down early in the second set, I was confident of winning.

“After taking the first set, I knew Chen Jin will come out attacking in the second set and was prepared for his style of play.”

After six failed attempts, with his best showing a semis spot at Anahiem, France where he lost to Taufik Hidayat, Chong Wei was elated with his semis win.

“I hope my detractors will now appreciate the fact that I have made the final,” said Chong Wei.

“Making the final is just one step for I really want to win the title. And my form thus far has been good and these are encouraging signs as I prepare for the final.

“I will give it my best shot for this is really my opportunity to land a title that has eluded me. Trust me that this is the big one that I want to add to my collection.”

Chong Wei took a 2-0 lead but Chen Jin was on level terms as the Malaysian made two uncharacteristic mistakes by send the shuttle into the net.

And the scenario was repeated as Chong Wei won the serve but lost it with another failed attempt at the net.

An error of judgment at the baseline by Chong Wei gave his opponent a 4-3 lead.

Chong Wei then reeled off four points in the row to lead 7-4 but once again Chen Jin fought back to 5-7 but was faulted at serve to hand the initiative back to the world number 1.

And Chong Wei showed his class as he raced to a 11-7 lead at the break, looking confident as he spoke to coach Tey Seu Bock.

With Chen Jin looking a bit apprehensive, Chong Wei went on the offensive as he moved the Chinese all over the court, winning points with deft touches and devastating smashes to lead 14-8.

Chong Wei then gave away just two points before racing off to a 19-10 lead, before another miss hit at the net handed serve to Chen Jin.

An exquisite display of controlled net play gave Chong Wei the 29th point and although he conceded another two points, he smashed his way to take the first set 21-13 in 14 minutes.

The second set started with Chen Jin racing to a 4-0 lead before Chong Wei won his first point. And as the Malaysian kept making mistakes, Chen Jin too full advantage to gather the points for a 7-3 lead.

Chong Wei stepped up a gear and with the fans urging him on from the stands, he won the next five points to take the lead for the first time in the second set at 8-7.

The manner in which Chong Wei won his ninth point showed his class as he sent Chen Jin scurrying all over the court before finishing him off with his trademark leaping smash. At the break Chong Wei led 11-8.

With Chen Jin in disarray, Chong Wei kept picking up the points as he increased his lead to 17-8, winning nine points on the trot.

And he sealed his spot in the final winning 21-9. And he never showed any emotions.