Monday, August 15, 2011

NO RETIREMENT PLANS FOR CHONG WEI




Having lost a close final to nemesis Lin Dan at Wembley Arena, Lee Chong Wei will give it one last shot in 2013 before thinking of calling it quits.

A sad and disappointed Chong Wei had to undergo treatment for an hour before he could talk to the Malaysian media and he spoke about his plans with regards to the 2012 Olympics as well as the reasons for his defeat in the final.

(Please view the video recorded by this blog)

"The difference was that Lin Dan took a gamble and won. When I led 16-13 he threw all he had at me and though I held match point twice, I just could not convert them. It is disappointing as I know many in Malaysia would have watched the match, but I gave it my very best," said Chong Wei who suffered body cramps and had to be helped by the National Sports Institute officials.

"The gap between Lin Dan and me is getting closer as evident from this final and either one of us could have won the final or for that matter any match in the future.

"I will be facing the Chinese armada though over the next year in the run-up to the Olympics as there is not only Lin Dan but the likes of Chen Jin, Chen Loong and other budding Chinese players coming through the ranks.
"So I have to plan the preparations for the Olympics well, and need the co-operation from NSC, NSI and BAM."

Chong Wei also reiterated that he had no plans to retire just yet as he wants the World Championship title and will participate in 2013.