Wednesday, June 20, 2012


Having kept his silence for the past three weeks since suffering the horrific ankle injury at the Thomas Cup. Lee Chong Wei opened up to theMalaysian media when he faced a barrage of questions at the Stadium Juara after training and physiotherapy.

Utmost on the mind of the media was his recovery and his state of preparation for the Olympics, which will commence in five weeks time.

"It has been a harrowing time ever since I suffered the injury. The first thing on my mind was there goes my Olympic dream. I realized that in order to play and perform at the Olympics I would need somewhat a miracle plus dedication and determination to overcome my predicament," said Chong Wei.

"In a way I am blessed that so many Malaysians prayed and offered encouragement to me and for that I am grateful as the messages of support and even offers to treat me kept pouring in.

"I have been concentrating on getting the ankle better through various conditioning training and I admit that it is still painful especially movement on the court.

"I have started court training last week but not at full pace, that is something I expect to do next week. But work on my endurance has commenced and I do track training under the supervision of my Physio and coach."

Chong Wei added that he was looking forward to the training stint in Bath University as that will allow him to fully focus on his preparation for the London Olympics.

On the change of format adopted by the World Badminton Federation, where the singles competition will see players playing in group matches before proceeding to the knock-out stage, Chong Wei had this to say;

"This is my third Olympic and I find it strange that a change of format was introduced. Having said that I guess it is fortunate since I suffered this injury and the group matches will allow me to gauge my condition and allow me to get used to the conditions."