Wednesday, August 01, 2012

STERN TEST FOR CHONG WEI


Lee Chong Wei will have to thread with caution if he harbours hopes of ending the nations hopes of landing a gold medal at the London Olympics.

For his performance in the first match against Ville Lang was anything but convincing. And Chong Wei realises the fact that he has to show marked improvement if he wants to get the better of Indonesia's Simon Santoso, his opponent tomorrow.

The fact that the Indonesian refuses to buy the story that Chong Wei is injured is a statement that he is taking the match seriously and has his game plan laid out as evident when speaking to him.

"I saw no signs of Chong Wei being injured when I watched him train before the event got underway. So I doubt there is any issues with his ankle," said Simon.

"He is a great player and it will be tough to match him but I will have to take one set off him to stand a chance of an upset.

"There is everything to play for and I am going to give it my best shot. Come what may, I will not let Chong Wei go past me easily."

Wary of the ability of the Indonesian who Chong Wei beat last at the finals of the Super Series Finals last December, Chong Wei stated that he was mentally and physically prepared for the match.

"I admit I played badly in the first match but that was akin to taking baby steps as It was my first match after returning from injury," said Chong Wei.

"The ankle hurts at times but I put it at the back of my head and concentrate at the task before me, that is to win matches.

"It was a wake up call for me and I will do my best to get past Simon."

The path to the semis is wide open for Chong Wei following the exit of 8th seend Kenichi Tago and 10th seed Nguyen Tien Minh.

Chong Wei will have to contend with Sri Lanka's Niluka Karuraratne or India's Kashyap Parpulli in the last eight, if he gets past the stern test of Simon.