Monday, July 23, 2012

CHONG WEI'S REACTION TO DRAW

Malaysia's best hope for the Olympic badminton gold Lee Chong Wei is unperturbed by the fact that Chen Loong has been drawn in his half for the men singles competition.

He prefers to take it one match at a time and wants to focus on his opponents round by round.

"I am happy with the draw as every opponent is tough. My aim is to focus on one opponent at a time," said Chong Wei when contacted in Bath, the training base of the Malaysian squad.

"Past records mean nothing in the Olympics as nothing can compare to playing at the Olympic level.

"Every player qualified on merit and hence must be given due respect.

"I am expected to play Simon Santoso in the last 16 and although the stats are in my favour, let me make it clear that I will give it my all in every round.

"It's pointless talking about potential opponents when I need to clear one at a time."

On the potential clash between his nemesis Lin Dan and Taufik Hidayat, Chong Wei had this to say,

"We have not seen Taufik after the Indon Open and it could prove to be tricky for Lin Dan. But I am sure Lin Dan will prevail."

Chong Wei added that the preparations at Bath have been excellent and the team was in high spirits.

"We move to London tomorrow (Tuesday) and will commence training at the venue," added Chong Wei.

"I have been told that I am not to be included in the march past for the opening and since they have made a statement there is really nothing to say but respect it.

"My focus is the Olympics and it remains just that. I will do my level best to deliver for Malaysia, that is my promise to all Malaysians."